The Westgate Practice is a Research Ready Accredited Practice. The Practice Clinical Research Lead is Dr Helen Stokes-Lampard.
General Practice has long played a significant role in undertaking research in the NHS. The Westgate Practice has an extensive and ongoing commitment to research alongside the Clinical Research Network, West Midlands. Research studies are an essential part of health research. They help us develop better treatments, which improve healthcare for all; can lead to real breakthroughs that save lives and improve quality of life.
During the past few years, the Westgate Practice has taken part in a number of research studies including:
- CLASP5: Cancer: Life Affirming Survivorship Support in Primary Care
- NCMH: National Centre for Mental Health
- HEAT: Helicobacter Eradication Aspirin Trial
- ALLHEART: Allopurinol
- FAST: Febuxostat vs Allopurinol Streamlined Trial
- STILTS2: Study into Lean and Thin Subjects
- ARCHIE: Early Use of Antibiotics for At Risk Children with Influenza
- I-WOTCH – Improving the Wellbeing of People with Opioid Treated Chronic Pain
- We've Got Your Back (Back pain study)
- ATTACK: Aspirin to Target Arterial events in Chronic Kidney disease
- PROP OA: Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
- Fluenz Tetra Surveillance Reporting Cards
Patients may be contacted for research studies if they meet the criteria for that particular study trial.
Patients who are interested in research generally may want to consider many national schemes. One of which is JOIN DEMENTIA RESEARCH. This is a nationwide online and telephone service that allows people to register their interest in volunteering for dementia research studies. People with Dementia, their carers, anyone interested in research aged 18 or over, can be matched to studies. It is designed to match people to appropriate studies using your personal information. Current studies range from clinical studies of new treatments to surveys about what works in improving quality of life for people with dementia and their carers.
If you would like to register your interest, please go to: www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk
For Privacy notice changes during Covid 19 please see the following link :