This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Westgate News

Welcome to our website.

Pharmacy First: Minor Ailments Scheme

Pharmacy First is a scheme available for children and people who do not have to pay for their prescriptions and are suffering from a common ailment. Your local pharmacist will be able to offer you expert advice and medicines for a wide range of common ailments without the need to visit your GP. See the tab on the right hand side of the page for more information.

Choose and Book

Choose and Book is an electronic referral service which gives people a choice of place, date and time for their first outpatient appointment in a hospital or clinic. When you and your GP agree you need to see a specialist you will be able to choose from a list of hospitals and clinics.

You will be given an appointment reference number, a password and the link to the secure Choose and Book website. You will also be able to book your appointment by telephone.

Patient Information Leaflets

We have a variety of leaflets about our services at Westgate Practice, which can be picked up from both our Greenhill and Shenstone sites. If you would like information in an alternative format, for example large print or easy read, or if you need help with communicating with us, for example because you use British Sign Language, please let us know.

Carer's Health Check

Have you had your Carer's Health Check? If not contact Reception and ask for an appointment.

Medical Record Summary

Patients now have access to a summary of their medical record relating to medications, allergies and adverse reactions and vaccinations. Patients will need to have registered for on-line services in order to access their record.

Named GP for all Patients

All patients at the Westgate Practice have a ‘Named GP’ who oversees their care. We also call your ‘Named GP’ your ‘Usual GP’. You can however, continue to book appointments with any GP of your choice. If you are not sure who your ‘Named GP’ is, ask the receptionist at your next visit.


In Times of Bereavement

When someone dies there are many decisions and arrangements to be made. Unfortunately these often have to be made at a time of personal distress. This page gives you help and guidance about what to do from the moment of a person's death.

If Death Occurs At Home

1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.

2. Contact a funeral director.

3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).

4. Take this to the Registrars’ Office, (together with the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient Registrars’ Office but certificates will not be available as these will have to be posted to you a few days later.

5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).

If The Death Occurs In Hospital

1. Contact a funeral director to inform them their services are required.

2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above

Note For Cremation

Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.


For complete guidance, visit the what to do after a death section of the website:


How to register a death in Lichfield District

By law you must register a death within five days, unless a Registrar says that this period may be extended.

The local register office is:

Lichfield Register Office (inc. Tamworth)
The Old Library Building, Bird Street, Lichfield, WS13 6PN
Tel: 01543 510770/Fax:01543 510773

Opening Hours

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 9.00am - 4.30pm
  • Saturdays: 10.00am - 4.00pm - by appointment only
  • Sunday: Closed

You can register a death at any Register Office in England or Wales. To find other offices visit the Staffordshire County Council website:

What the Registrar will need to know

It may help you to prepare for your visit to know that the Registrar will require the following information:

  • The date and place of death.
  • The full name of the deceased (and maiden name if appropriate).
  • The date and place of birth of the deceased (a birth certificate would be helpful).
  • The deceased's occupation and the full name and occupation of her husband, if she was a married woman or a widow.
  • The deceased's usual address.
  • Whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds. The date of birth of the deceased's spouse, if alive.
  • Either the deceased's NHS number or medical card. However, please do not delay registration if the medical card is not available.

Who do I need to tell?

The County Council offers a Tell Us Once service which means you will be able to just tell them once about the death, and then they will tell other government departments and local authority services for you.

Your local registrar will give you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone. You will need the deceased’s:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • passport number
  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
  • name and address of their next of kin
  • name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the deceased, before you give their details. More information about the Staffordshire County Council Tell Us Once service can be found at:


Organisations Tell us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • the local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register

You’ll have to let the relevant organisations know about the death yourself if your local register office doesn’t offer the Tell Us Once service or you choose not to use it.

Bereavement support:

Lichfield Cruse Bereavement Care 01543 433479.

You can arrange to see a Cruse Bereavement support worker at the Westgate Practice on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 4:00pm – 8:00pm. Please contact Cruse Bereavement on the number above to arrange this.

East Staffordshire Cruse Bereavement Care 01283 509098 Geoffrey Hodges Wing, Queens Hospital Belvedere Road, Burton upon Trent

You can find more information on the national Cruse Bereavement Care website: or for young people:

The Child Bereavement Trust Provides support for bereaved families. The website is at:

Samaritans You can also contact the Samaritans 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 08437 90 90 9.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website